Find a Free Summer Meals Site Near You
AVAILABLE JUNE THROUGH AUGUST
UPDATE: Monday, August 16
Check your school or district’s website, social media, and direct communications for the latest information on how meals are available for your students.
Most school districts will continue to serve meals for students as they reopen for fall or begin remote learning. Most will also have different plans to serve meals from the plans they used during the summer or during school closures last spring.
Many school districts will have a change in service beginning September 1 due to the expected change in USDA waivers affecting school meals. Check back at the end of the month with your district, or here, for more information on what schools have planned for meals beginning September 1.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers free summer meals to kids across North Carolina. The program is similar to the School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, except meals are free to all kids that come to a registered summer meals site. The NC Department of Public Instruction manages the program in North Carolina.
FIND FREE, HEALTHY MEALS FOR KIDS AGE 18 AND UNDER
(Available JUNE through AUGUST)
1. Text FOODNC or COMIDA to 877-877 to receive a text with the three drive-thru or pick up sites with meals for kids closest to you.
2. CLICK HERE to use the map with meal sites across the state.
3. Check your local school district's website, social media, and other communications for the most up-to-date information.
Note: Most site information is only available June through August.
Why Summer Meals?
- FREE: Meals are free to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals site.
- SAVE MONEY: Free summer meals will help families save money and stretch their already tight food budgets.
- NUTRITIOUS: Food served at summer meal sites follows USDA nutrition guidelines and are paid for by the USDA.
- SAFE: Summer meal sites are safe places for kids and teens to go, such as schools, churches, and community centers.
- FUN: Many sites offer educational and recreational activities that kids of all ages can participate in so they can eat, hang out with friends and take part in activities offered.
- NO ID, NO REGISTRATION: Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. Children simply need to come to a summer meals site in their community, and enjoy a healthy meal without the hassle of having to fill out an application or enroll in a program. No ID or registration needed.