Find a Free Summer Meals Site Near You
AVAILABLE JUNE THROUGH AUGUST
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers free summer meals to kids across North Carolina. The program is similar to the School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, except meals are free to all kids that come to a registered summer meals site. The NC Department of Public Instruction manages the program in North Carolina.
Additional food resources can be found by finding your area food bank or food pantry, or by seeking information on businesses that are providing help, some of which is also collected at NoKidHungryNC.org/mealupdates or school district websites. You can also find information specific to COVID-19 school closures here.
FOUR WAYS TO FIND FREE, HEALTHY MEALS FOR KIDS AGE 18 AND UNDER:
1. Text FOODNC or COMIDA to 877-877 to receive a text with the three drive-thru or pick up sites with meals for kids closest to you.
2. Use the map below to find drive-thru or pick up site with meals for kids across the state.
3. Visit NoKidHungryNC.org/MealUpdates for information on delivery meals by bus and other updates from school districts and community partners serving meals.
4. Check your local school district's website, social media, and other communications for the most up-to-date information.
Note: Most site information is only available June through August. If you don't see a site near you yet, keep checking back, because information will be updated throughout the beginning of the summer.
The map above shows sites where free meals for kids age 18 and under are available during COVID-19 school closures, as of Tuesday, July 7, 2020.
- This map shows pick-up and drive-thru locations where free meals are available for anyone age 18 and under.
- Additional opportunities to get free meals for kids, including bus/mobile delivery meals, can be found at this page.
- Check your local school district's website, social media, and other communications for the most up-to-date information.
- Be sure to contact a location before visiting. Many sponsors are distributing multiple day's worth of meals during a single day of service (especially with weekend meals distributed on Fridays). Call ahead to double-check serving days and times. Clicking on a map pin will pull up more information, including contact info.
- Click on a pin to pull up more information about a site's name, location, contact info, and serving times.
- To search the map:
- Click the box in the upper right corner of the map to open it in a new window.
- Then click the magnifying glass to search for your location.
- (On mobile, after clicking the box in the upper right, you will also need to click the map title at the bottom of your screen to find the magnifying glass.)
- Type in the name of your city or town to see sites in your area, or type in your specific address and zoom out to find the closest site.
- You can also send a text to search for the three sites closest to you by texting FOODNC or COMIDA to 877-877.
Why Summer Meals?
- FREE: Meals are free to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals site.
- SAVE MONEY: Free summer meals will help families save money and stretch their already tight food budgets.
- NUTRITIOUS: Food served at summer meal sites follows USDA nutrition guidelines and are paid for by the USDA.
- SAFE: Summer meal sites are safe places for kids and teens to go, such as schools, churches, and community centers.
- FUN: Many sites offer educational and recreational activities that kids of all ages can participate in so they can eat, hang out with friends and take part in activities offered.
- NO ID, NO REGISTRATION: Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. Children simply need to come to a summer meals site in their community, and enjoy a healthy meal without the hassle of having to fill out an application or enroll in a program. No ID or registration needed.