Meals for Kids in North Carolina During COVID-19 School Closures
Updated Thursday, April 9, 2020
This section is about meal programs for kids in NC while schools are closed because of the COVID-19 outbreak. It will continue to be updated as information becomes available.
No Kid Hungry NC does not provide food directly to kids. We support those who do through grant funding for innovative programs, marketing tools, technical assistance, and much more. The free meals for kids that can be found with the tools below are being provided by school districts and community partners through federally-assisted USDA child nutrition programs -- managed in our state by the NC Department of Public Instruction -- that normally operate in the summer to keep kids in need healthy while school is out.
Additional food resources can be found by finding your area food bank or food pantry, or by seeking information on businesses that are providing help, some of which is also collected at NoKidHungryNC.org/mealupdates or school district websites.
FOUR WAYS TO FIND FREE, HEALTHY MEALS FOR KIDS AGE 18 AND UNDER:
1. Text FOODNC to 877-877 to receive a text with the three drive-thru or pick up sites with meals for kids closest to you.
2. Use the map below to find drive-thru or pick up site with meals for kids across the state.
3. Visit NoKidHungryNC.org/MealUpdates for information on delivery meals by bus and other updates from school districts and community partners serving meals.
4. Check your local school district's website, social media, and other communications for the most up-to-date information.
Click to download:
The map above shows sites where free meals for kids age 18 and under are available during COVID-19 school closures, as of Thursday, April 9.
- This map shows pick-up and drive-thru locations where free meals are available for anyone age 18 and under.
- Additional opportunities to get free meals for kids, including bus/mobile delivery meals, can be found at this page.
- Check your local school district's website, social media, and other communications for the most up-to-date information.
- Be sure to contact a location before visiting. Many sponsors are distributing multiple day's worth of meals during a single day of service (especially with weekend meals distributed on Fridays). Call ahead to double-check serving days and times. Clicking on a map pin will pull up more information, including contact info.
- Click on a pin to pull up more information about a site's name, location, contact info, and serving times.
- To search the map:
- Click the box in the upper right corner of the map to open it in a new window.
- Then click the magnifying glass to search for your location.
- (On mobile, after clicking the box in the upper right, you will also need to click the map title at the bottom of your screen to find the magnifying glass.)
- You can also send a text to search for the three sites closest to you by texting FOODNC to 877-877.