North Carolina School Breakfast Challenge
No Kid Hungry NC hosted the 3rd annual statewide Breakfast Challenge to continue the momentum from the previous challenges. This year’s focus was on closing the Breakfast Gap across the state. Thanks to DPI for providing the data to determine the winners based on October 2015 breakfast participation among all students.
Congratulations to the 2015 No Kid Hungry @ My School Statewide Breakfast Challenge winners!
- 100 school districts of North Carolina's 115 districts signed up for the Challenge across the state.
- During the Challenge, 242 schools switched to an innovative breakfast service model, such as Breakfast in the Classroom, Grab & Go, Kiosks, or 2nd Chance served later in the day after the bell.
- The top 3 elementary, middle and high school Breakfast Challenge winners all have innovative breakfast models and/or served "universal" breakfast (free to all students).
- Of the top 50 Breakfast Challenge winners:
- 29 were Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) schools, where all students are served all meals at no charge.
- 38 were schools with innovative breakfast models and/or served "universal" breakfast.